Request for Course Changes
Counselors build the entire schedule and assign faculty based on information we receive from students and parents in the winter and spring about course choices. Usually we can accommodate changes that are submitted during the spring. However, requests for changes after that time will only be honored after school personnel have carefully considered the reasons for the proposed changes and only if space and resources are available. Requests for a change such as disliking a course, underestimating the course expectations, selecting or deselecting a specific teacher, wishing to take an easier course, not realizing what the course would be like, or wanting to be in a class with friends are inappropriate reasons for a schedule change and will not be honored. This policy has been developed to prevent staffing, scheduling, and teaching and learning problems that result from late schedule changes. Once the school year has begun, schedule conflicts, over-subscription, and other factors may make certain courses unavailable. We cannot stress enough the importance of carefully considering and selecting courses in the spring. Avoid schedule problems in the summer and fall by making wise, thoughtful choices now.
At Hingham High, the procedures for changing levels and withdrawing or entering a course are as follows:
- Level changes may not occur after the first five weeks of any term.
- No level changes nor course withdrawals may occur without teacher input and department head approval.
- All level changes will require a discussion involving the student, parent, teacher, counselor, and department chair. Parents must provide written approval for changes.
- If a level change does occur, the grade received in the prior level will be adjusted up or down by ten points for the purposes of calculating the student’s GPA.
- No new course may be added to a student’s schedule after the first two weeks of either semester without the permission of the principal.